Sunday, January 13, 2008

Christmas and All That

After many years of not being rich yet (in Western terms anyway), I have discovered the joys of cheap shopping on the Internet. Now, I have shopped online before, but this Christmas I specifically wanted to buy cheaply... and as I like to give books and movies, I was pleased to explore Amazon's second-hand options. And sure enough, the bulk of books and DVDs that I bought for people second-hand were just fine. In near perfect condition, indeed. One or two were a bit off, but overall, I managed to handle Christmas for about £70 instead of the usual £200. With a DVD movie costing about £2.37 including delivery instead of £10-£30, the savings can be immense. OK, the risk of a problem with the product is slightly higher, but at that kind of price I can just buy another one from another supplier.

Funny news stories... How about the latest pyramid selling scam in China? Over a million people have been persuaded to spend some £1300 on ant farms. Then there's the latest teenage-wild-party-while-the-parents-are-away event. I like the fact that the naughty fellow has his story well thought-out. His video chit-chat is a bit hard to follow but the article spells it out.

Now here is a photo showing the Moon over the 'top' of the Earth's atmosphere, taken from the Space Shuttle Discovery in July 2007. "Image ISS013-E-54329.JPG courtesy of the Image Science & Analysis Laboratory, NASA Johnson Space Center."

No comments: