Monday, March 24, 2003

I see that the allies are expressing outrage about the Iraqi violations of the Geneva Convention, in which captured US soldiers have been shown on TV. I didn't see it, but I understand that one soldier was shown being interrogated and was obviously afraid, and another was clearly badly injured (blood was visible). I don't support this treatment of prisoners of war, but I think that the allied whining about it is hypocritical. I have seen Iraqi POWs on the TV several times in this war, with their faces clearly visible, and nobody that I heard complained about that. That too was a violation of the Geneva Convention. Then again, during the war on Afghanistan, I remember seeing POWs packed tightly in a prison. I remember seeing one kneeling on the sand, hands tied behind his back, being interrogated by a CIA officer. That was in contravention of the Geneva Convention as well. Next, we have the US prison camp, "Camp X-Ray" at Guantanamo Bay, in which the prisoners are defined as "combatants" but not as "POWs" by the US so they can be held without access even to lawyers, including people who are almost certainly not terrorists. So, allies, make up your minds: do you support the Geneva Convention, or do you only support it when it suits you?

No comments: