Monday, February 05, 2007

Planning

I think the reason I was able to write the last scene so quickly was because I had planned it out in my head beforehand.

Normally, I just sit down and begin writing, but I find that it can be slow going because I get stuck at various points where things don't work out so well. But with that scene, I had gone over it many times in my imagination, running the scene many times like a movie and imagining the action and the dialogue, and even the thoughts. In that way, I had ironed out many of the wrinkles before I started - things like, who was to be the main protagonist (whose point of view would it be told from), what things were worth showing and what could be skipped, and so on.

So... I have been doing the same thing with the next scene. I only wrote a few words today. I have spent a lot of time, on and off during the day, imagining the scene and the things that are to be said and done. And whose point of view is to be primary. One point of view does help things to hang together, I think. In terms of the action, much of it stays the same, but the one point of view allows me to explore the thoughts and the character of this individual. As well as describing the action, the scene suddenly becomes a scene about that character. The reader learns more about this person than they would otherwise.

No comments: