Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Speed Writing

Well, I got a lot written today! I've had a bit of a headache today, so maybe that helped (dilated blood vessels may allow more oxygen to get to the brain or something - that's my theory anyway). I wrote about a page - some 800 words or so. I am in what I think of as the second scene, out in the jolly old desert. I am on page 6 (single spaced, 12 point). Before it is proofread, I will change it to double-spacing or at least 1.5 spacing, so people can mark it up physically more easily: I don't want them tinkering with the computer files without my supervision, thank you very much. I want the last word on what goes in and what does not. Some bits are kinda subtle... there for the nerds to enjoy, perhaps.

And... I will be needing a publisher. The studio would like me to sort one out. And... I might, therefore, be needing a literary agent, since the book is backed by a studio making a major movie (http://www.katherineofalexandria.com/) and since I don't want to be doing all the negotiating and what-have-you myself.

Anyway, it has to be more professional to have an agent. Alternatively, publishers may see agents as a nuisance, or as needless middle-men - but I doubt it, actually. They perform an important screening function. I have worked in publishing in the past and know roughly how it used to work and in any case have had about 11 non-fiction books published before (all sadly out of print and out of date now), so at least I have some sort of track record, plus plenty of editorial experience. Well, we shall see.

No comments: